Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sparkfest, Day 2

What author/book set off that spark of inspiration for your current Work in Progress? 

 I came across this book quite accidentally, a few years back when visiting my parents in Winnipeg. We decided to visit a recently opened used book shop. As I browsed the shelves, I spotted this gem. I like the concept of a story told through diary entries, such as Sandra Gulland tells the story of Josephine Bonaparte in this book. The first person narrative enables the reader to see through the character's eyes, and only through their eyes. How accurate is that particular character, in conveying the story? These all intrigue me, leaving me want to some how weave them into my stories.

Another book which has sparked me is this one. I very much like the notion of a third person, sort of on-looker, an ordinary voice telling an extraordinary tale. In this case, we view the world of the Tudor Court through the eyes of a simple fool. And finally, though not really a favourite, this book also has sparked me ~ I really like the idea of the secret diary, finally discovered, and the story unfolding through the diary's revelations. Thank you to these authors for the gift of these stories.

6 comments:

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

These books all sound great. Nice to meet you - came here from the Spark Fest.

Angela Cothran said...

I'm a fan of period books too. There is something so amazing about women who live in a time so different from ours--and yet they still wrangle with the same emotional problems we do. Great post.

christina said...

these books sound lovely.
the one that did it for me was "bird by bird" by Anne Lamotte.

M Pax said...

I enjoy historical novels. I'm goin to have to check those out.

Laura S. said...

Hello! The Queen's Fool has been on my to-read list for awhile. It's always out when I want it at the library.

The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn looks interesting! Thanks for the suggestion.

Have a great weekend!

Christine Tyler said...

Letters and diaries add a wonderful dimension to stories. I often think of how effective this was in Wuthering Heights.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

| Blog Template by http://www.bloggercandy.com/ | Header Image by Arpi |